I suggest you ...

Hawaii Gigabit Initiative

We've heard lots of talk about Broadband and the Gigabit Initiative. We even had a session on this topic last year. What is the latest and are we making progress to bring affordable gigabit to the masses by 2018?

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminBurt Lum (Admin, Unconferenz) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Don Kosak commented  · 

Two comments -- first, 2018 is too late. We'll be the last people onboard and miss out on the entire first wave of the "Internet of Things" and other amazing tech enabled by greater bandwidth.

Second, Hawaii is a great testbed for next generation 5G wireless to reach out to the masses. (but again, that relies on lighting up fiber to the islands and then to key hubs.)

• Jerry Isdale commented  · 

Agree with Jon - while a majority of Hawaii population lives in Honolulu and southern Oahu, the rest of the islands need better interwebs. Wireless is hard with our rugged topography. There are big pipes coming into Hawaii - and potentially great distribution in dark fiber and microwave nets setup with Federal $. The distributed population needs distributed production and thus widely available networks for 21st century. We can be an experiment for rest of the world

• Jon Brown commented  · 

While talking about Hawaii's gigabit initiative lets not completely ignore the growing number of homes in rural Hawaii that are completely off grid and not serviced by wires at all and are often without available wireless service as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base